Wednesday, October 17, 2007

llanguages

Yesterday as I was opening a frozen dinner, I saw that the instructions were in three languages--English, Spanish and French (I think). It got me to wondering, what's next? Farsi? Arabic? Chinese? There won't be room on the wrapper for all the languages which might be needed by the consumer. Bigger packaging, thus killing more trees?

My father-in-law, bless his soul, immigrated from Italy to here when he was 17. His name is on the Wall of Fame at Ellis Island--I put it there. He earned his citizenship in the US by serving in WWI. Never was anything but English spoken in his house. His kids were going to be Americans. It's a shame that he didn't speak Italian at home and English everywhere else, because my husband did not learn Italian--except for a colorful variety of swear words!

I can't for the life of me learn what makes it so impossible for immigrants to learn at least broken English. Spanish is supposed to be very easy to learn. Why is it so difficult to go from Spanish to English?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I imagine this was a packaging decision by the manufacturer, so the product could be sold in any of the three North American nations?...