Saturday, October 20, 2007

TV commercials

Does anybody besides me remember the one-sponsor TV Show--such as Chevrolet for the Dinah Shore Show, Texaco for Milton Berle, etc.? Nowadays, I count as many as 11 commercials between "We'll be right back," and the actual being back. I record most shows--like ER--so I can rush through the commercials. Anything on HBO is worth the price of HBO because I know I'm going to see an uninterrupted show. Even the Bill Moyers Journal on PBS has to tell me who sponsors the show, so I can go toast a bagel before the program actually starts. Someday I'm going to sit patiently through an actual present-time show and time exactly how much of the hour is programming and how much is commercials. Aw c'mon--I'm a capitalist, but this is really getting to be too much. One day I'll watch a commercial or ten and a tv program will actually start! Like going to a fight and a hockey game breaks out. Or is it soccer? Whatever. Can you tell I'm pissed?

3 comments:

sue said...

I try and tape everything that I know has commercials. I find, on average, a 60 minute show can be watched in about 40 minutes. That is 10 minutes of commercials. You figure most of them are 30 - 60 second, that is a heck of a lot of commercials.

I find it rather amusing now the gimmick is for one company to sponsor a "minimized commercial break" show - usually a new show's premiere. They stick in a couple of breaks for their own commercials and don't let anyone else advertise.

Andy Land said...

Advertisers don't want to spread themselves too thinly by only advertising on one program when they could advertise on many.

Programmers want it to appear that they have many folks vying for a chance to advertise on their program. they do this so they can get more people to advertise on their shows.

Wicked cycle.

Anonymous said...

Nice post...Thank you for sharing some good things!!