Wednesday, July 11, 2007

cell phone bitchin'

Over my 70+ years, I have had to adapt to new things--cordless phones, no operator on the other end because you can't dial "O" again, the computer and all its wonders. Most of this I have become acclimated to and some I even enjoy.

BUT I HATE CELL PHONES. I think they're the rudest thing we have come up with yet. It's rude, sitting in a restaurant and having to listen to some guy's conversation over "there." "There" doesn't have many boundaries, because people think they have to talk louder over a cell phone. It's rude, having lunch with a friend and a lively conversation going on, when her cell phone demands her attention, and there goes our conversation, up in smoke.

Three of my kids have cell phones only. No land lines. If I lost any of their phone numbers, I couldn't call information, because of course no cell phone is listed. I think that within 20 years phone directories will be obsolete. While I appreciate being called whenever by one of my kids, it's very annoying to me that they usually call me from the car on the way to or from somewhere, and suddenly I'm talking to no one because the call has been dropped. And the conversation must end at their destination. There's also the problem of speaker phones. I never know to whom I am actually speaking, because they all have speaker phones--so I'm very careful what I say about whom. At least they could identify who's listening in!

A thousand years from now when the Chinese dig us up, they will find skeletons with one hand close against the face where an ear should be. They'll probably think we all died of some mysterious facial virus!

Muthah

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like them better now that they are GPS equiped so when you call "911" they can tell where you are... also, they are handy for my husband. When he's in the field and in a tractor, or in his grain truck hauling, he can take calls from landlords, other farmer friends, fuel distributors, grain elevators, etc. and handle business that in the "old days" he would have had waiting for him to do when he got home at 8 or 9 o'clock - or would have to stop and find a phone in the middle of the day to handle some of these types of calls. He feels much less isolated when he's in the field and I worry less about accidents and his ability to get help.

Also, it has been nice to keep tabs on our kids - even though they're grown now, it really has helped.

I will agree they need to be banned in public places like restaurants, just as they are in movie theaters. That's just rude.

muthah said...

So you're a farm gal, too. I grew up on a farm. At least we knew where our food was coming from and could trust it not to kill us!

Anonymous said...

Actually, I'm a farm transplant. I grew up in the "big city" (as my husband likes to say)... then married a farmer. What a shock to the system THAT was! LOL! Now I love it and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.