Monday, August 13, 2007

Come to the Fair

I know I've been neglecting things here. I've been having Physical Therapy three times a week for the past month, and it's really helping. This is my 3d go-round with PT clinics, and the first time I've gotten help. I told my trainer today I'm going to sign up for a marathon (not) next year.

I am so much better that Marty took me to the Marquette Co. Fair yesterday. I think it's the first county fair I've been to since McHenry Co., IL, when Andy was 15 and won the talent contest. I touched a cow for the first time in years--maybe 20--and they're so sweet, and so dumb. Reminded me of when I was 9 and got up at 5 a.m. to milk three cows and get ready for the school bus. It was so neat, putting my head against those warm flanks in the winter. I hated the farm when I was growing up, but I'm glad I grew up on one. We Americans are so far from our food supply that it's pathetic. My co-secretary at the church years ago couldn't find the spinach in the grocery store. It was loose in a bin, and she said, "Spinach comes in plastic bags." Yeah, it grows that way.

I got introduced to Blue Bottom hogs. Never saw one before, but there were plenty Poland China and Landrace, which we used to raise. Pigs are the smartest animals on the farm. They don't poop where they eat or sleep, and you can potty train a pygmy one. I don't think my landlord would approve of my getting a pygmy pig, though.

The horses stuck their heads out and nibbled on my walker handlebars.

I ate half of a wonderful spit-cooked chicken and discovered elephant ears. I had my walker with a seat, but only sat down three times in three hours. I ache today, but I really worked out at the PT clinic at 9 this morning.

I see that Karl Rove is resigning. Rats, one-by-one, deserting a sinking ship. Now if Bush and Cheney would resign before we get chance to impeach them.......Won't happen, but the talk is there.

Muthah

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you were able to go! I think we're going later this week to our state fair...